Join Our Team
About the Community Empowerment Fund
CEF is a non-profit organization operating in Durham and Orange Counties that is working to end the racial wealth gap by supporting people experiencing homelessness or financial insecurity. We work alongside approximately 250 volunteers and 1,100 members in their pursuit of employment, secure housing, and financial stability. We are valued by Members and partners for our ability to meet people where they are and walk alongside each individual to achieve personal goals, as well as our collaborative approach to address systemic racism and oppression which causes gaps in our local communities. We are passionate about sustaining transitions out of homelessness, and combine flexible relationship-based support with innovative matched savings accounts, referral networks, resource databases, and programs to support Members in achieving their long-term dreams. Learn more at www.communityef.org.
Applications are due Sunday, Sept 5th at 11:59 PM.
About the CEF Advocate position:
Advocates are volunteers trained to walk with Members in achieving their goals, often related to housing, employment, or financial independence. Advocates are not experts, but are curious, empathetic, and highly dedicated team players who commit to holding two Advocate hours per week for a minimum of two years. CEF Advocates work 1-1 or 2-1 with CEF Members to celebrate achievements and provide long-term, relationship-based support through challenges and barriers. The Advocate role is a volunteer position and is unpaid.
- Work one-on-one or two-on-one with CEF Members towards their goals
- Actively engage in ongoing learning opportunities to grow as an Advocate
- Support the management of office hour operations, including scheduling Member appointments and directing the flow of Member service activity in the office
- Properly use the CEF Connect database and other systems that help provide efficient and high-quality services to CEF Members, maintaining a high level of confidentiality
- Communicate proactively with staff and volunteer leaders around wellness, attendance, tardiness or other concerns
- Clear commitment to CEF’s mission and eager to commit to the full two years (and more!)
- Awareness of institutional oppression
- Actively strives for continual learning and reflection
- Resourceful, collaborative and creative problem-solver
- Experience and comfort working with people across abilities, neurological/cultural differences
- A deep understanding of authentic and empowering relationships
- Possesses many of the skills (active listening, empathy, vulnerability, trust) that are necessary to form relationships with Members
- Flexibility, tendency to take initiative, and a commitment to being a team player
- All majors and career interests are encouraged to join
- Proficiency in Spanish is a plus
Core Advocate Commitment:
- Attend all sessions of mandatory CEF Advocate Training
- Sat, Sep 25, 12:30-4:00PM
- Sun, Sep 26, 12:30-4:00PM
- Sat, Oct 9, 12:30-4:00PM
- Attend mandatory monthly ongoing learning opportunities
- Hold two weekly ‘Advocate’ hours for a minimum of two years (starting the week of Sep 27th)
- Attend a 15 minute pod meeting before every ‘Advocate’ hours shift
Please fill out the application here. Applications have a deadline of Sep 5th, 2021. Reach out to Leah Whitehead (email@example.com) with questions.
CEF is an equal opportunity employer, and strongly encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, and LGBTQ applicants.