Join Our Team
About the Community Empowerment Fund
CEF supports people experiencing homelessness or financial insecurity to gain employment, secure housing, and build financial stability. CEF trains and pairs volunteer “Advocates,” many of whom are undergraduate students, to work one-on-one with Members. We are valued by Members and partners alike for our ability to meet people where they are and walk alongside each individual to achieve personal goals, with a particular focus on financial empowerment. We are passionate about sustaining transitions out of homelessness, and combine flexible relationship-based support with innovative matched savings accounts to help Members achieve long-term dreams. Learn more at www.communityef.org
Position Title: Co-Director
About the Position: The primary responsibilities of this Co-Director position are to steward CEF’s resource development and financial management, and to lead the Chapel Hill team. The position is one of three Co-Directors who work both cooperatively and independently to steward the organization as a whole, and in the Chapel Hill and Durham offices. Each of the three Co-Directors is a designated leader of specific areas of work, while together as a team, they are responsible for fundraising, financial management, organizational development, internal operations and communications for the organization. Additionally, the Co-Directors facilitate collective visioning, and serve as connectors with the broader community.
About CEF: CEF works with people experiencing homelessness or financial insecurity in Durham and Orange Counties in North Carolina to gain employment, secure housing, and build financial well-being. We are passionate about sustaining transitions out of homelessness, and combine flexible relationship-based support with innovative matched savings accounts to help Members achieve long-term dreams. CEF is committed to a team-based organizational structure, in which responsibilities and decision-making are shared among staff. We are a growing organization, with 13 staff, 244 volunteer Advocates, and over 1,000 Members. CEF’s FY2018 operating budget is approximately $500,000, with highly diversified financial resources, and a relationship-based fundraising model consistent with our organizational mission.
To Apply: For more information and to apply, please see the full Position Description and details at: https://communityempowermentfund.org/codirector-search/
Workforce Development & Financial Coaching Specialist, Americorps VISTA Member beginning July 2018
Position Title Workforce Development & Financial Coaching Specialist, Americorps VISTA
CEF is the host site for Americorps VISTA positions through the IDA and Asset-Building Collaborative of North Carolina for its 2018-2019 Americorps VISTA program, and currently hiring for 1 position based in our Chapel Hill office. The position begins July 16, 2018 with Americorps Pre-Service Orientation.
The Workforce Development & Financial Coaching Specialist will focus on 1) building capacity in workforce development services, and 2) integrating financial capability into CEF’s services and collaborative partnerships. Areas of work will include the following:
- Improve the employment services provided by CEF’s Advocates by creating new partnerships, enhancing advocate training, and building new resources
- Strengthen relationships with area employers to promote hiring of program graduates, especially those who are justice-involved
- Support integrated partnerships to provide CEF’s financial coaching and matched savings accounts in collaboration with workforce development providers
- Boost participation in CEF’s financial coaching and matched savings accounts through creative, intentional outreach to CEF Members and Advocates
- Train volunteers and student leaders to effectively support CEF Members in securing employment and to effectively provide access to CEF’s matched savings accounts
- Build the capacity of a countywide coalition of workforce development service providers in Orange County
- Work regularly with members as an Advocate, an expectation of all CEF staff members
- Engage actively in program design to improve CEF’s outcomes, impact and methodologies
- Support CEF’s growing collaborations with partner organizations
- Embody CEF values and guiding principles, participate meaningfully in meetings, work collaboratively with co-workers, and engage in the organization in ways that are informed by racial equity and social justice frameworks
- Engaging and collaborative leadership style, with an ability to inspire and motivate volunteers
- Exceptional organizational abilities and attention to detail, with ability to follow-through on many simultaneous projects
- Experience and comfort working with people across abilities and neurological differences, and from diverse racial, socioeconomic, educational, cultural, religious, and ethnic backgrounds
- Clear analysis of structural racism and socioeconomic inequity, and willingness to learn and grow
- Experience navigating inter-agency partnerships and collaborations
- Bilingual/ bicultural skills desired
- Facility with technology, including willingness to learn new technologies
- BS/BA degree required by Americorps VISTA
- Shared commitment to CEF’s mission
Details About the Americorps Position through the NC IDA Collaborative AmeriCorps VISTA Program:
The IDA and Asset-Building Collaborative of North Carolina is a statewide organization. We focus on economic mobility for low-income people across our state and are located in Raleigh. The goal of this project is to build the capacity of our host sites to support low-income community members in increasing their income, through employment or microenterprise. Communities benefit over the long-term from residents who are more financially secure, are better able to engage in community life, and who contribute to and support the local economy. We seek individuals who work collaboratively and independently, take initiative and responsibility for their assigned tasks, have a positive attitude, demonstrate an interest in learning, and are committed to anti-poverty efforts.
Americorps VISTA Members through the IDA Collaborative receive a modest living stipend of $12,312, plus health insurance, day care, and moving allowance, and upon completion of a full year of service will also receive a $5,920 education award or $1,800 cash award through AmeriCorps.
**CEF provides a supplementary housing stipend in addition to the Americorps monthly stipend.
Please submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Applications are being reviewed on a rolling basis, with a priority deadline of Sunday, May 13th. Your cover letter should speak directly to why you are interested in working with CEF and why you are a great candidate for the position. The Americorps online application will be available mid-May, but for purposes of recruitment and placement CEF is seeking applications prior. We will ask selected candidates to complete the online application for Americorps at a later date
CEF is an equal opportunity employer, and strongly encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, and LGBTQ applicants.
Thank you for your interest! Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.