Hear more about it! Come to the Duke Microfinance Leadership Initiative meeting on Wednesday, April 14th at 7:30pm in Room
The Community Empowerment Fund (CEF) is a local microfinance initiative based in Chapel Hill, NC that offers small loans, savings opportunities, financial education, and assertive support to individuals experiencing or at-risk of experiencing homelessness. The opportunities for employment, self-employment, and greater housing that CEF advances motivate participants to build personal assets, gain higher income, and engage in a healthy community.
CEF is currently seeking individuals interested in being a part of the program’s pilot launch of a micro-loan program in Durham during the summer of 2010.
For interested students, we are willing to facilitate part-time, unpaid internships, with weekly commitments between 4 and 20 hours.
Student interns will have the opportunity to:
- —Deepen knowledge of public policy, economics, business, sociology, social work, and community development
- —Research the applicability of microfinance to the specific needs of the Durham community
- —Build mentoring relationships with program participants
- —Learn alongside community partners and program participants, on topics ranging from criminal justice to affordable housing to asset inequality
- —Develop skills in nonprofit management
- —Gain first-hand experience in banking, lending, and savings management
- —Extend opportunities to individuals traditionally marginalized from financial services
Internship responsibilities will include:
- —Attending a training session, during which CEF staff will train you sufficiently to equip you with the skills you will need to fulfill the internship responsibilities
- —Facilitating CEF Small Business Trainings in area shelters and low-income housing
- —Working one-on-one with CEF borrowers and savers
- —Building partnerships with community agencies and supportive services
- —Assisting borrowers and savers in budgeting, resume-building, job-searching, goal-setting, and accessing services
- —Consulting with participants in CEF business trainings to provide follow-up support
For more information, with questions, or to apply, join CEF staff at the DMLI meeting on Wed. April 14th at 7:30pm in Room
Contact us! email@example.com.